Update from the 8th of May, 2017.
I haven't done much this week, I haven't received any seeds and basically it has been a quiet week. I'm however waiting for many seeds. I hope I will receive them all.
One of my cactus had scale, so I had to take action. I was wondering why it wasn't doing very well and also why the stem were going black and here was the answer as you can see, it had scale. Poor thing. So, I trimmed it, changed its soil and sprayed him with tobacco tea (I use tobacco tea for any plague I have, so far it has been quite efficient and at least it is almost natural, I put some soap in it). I kept some pieces to try to root them, I'm not sure it will work, I haven't had a lot of chance when trying to root it.
After about 8 months one of my bauhinia gave me its first flower. It is still small about 10-15 centimeters, but it decided to give me flower and it is pretty.
I was looking for sprekelia formosissima and I found a guy that had some and that were selling some in a group on Facebook. I ordered him three, I cut one to reproduce it and I have about 10 growing at the moment and I planted the 3 others. While I was in Mexico city, I missed one flowering, but at least I saw this one. The third one will flower and I hope I will see it flower. I tried to pollinate it, but it is still too soon to know if it worked or not. I doubt it work, but I have nothing to lose in trying.
I did a cutting of hibiscus schizopetalus and it has given me its first flower today. To make the cuttings, I usually put into water until the stem gets white points (which is the start of the roots), then I stick it into soil and I wait. They are quite long to take, sometimes up to six months but then they grow well, fast and give many flowers.
This is my nepenthes. I think that before that one I tried one when I was still in Europe but it had died fast. I remember when I was in high school I had tried a sundew and probably a venus fly trap, I had been able to keep the sundew for a while but not the venus fly trap. I have to admit that I have never been a huge fan of carnivorous. I bought this little guy because I thought it would do well in this weather and actually it seems it does. There was also a small sundew with it in the order, but it died when I went to Mexico city. There I also bought two sundews, one is dying and the other seems to do fine but I still have to wait to see if it survive.











No comments:
Post a Comment